Click here for more information on Upward Bound.
Bevill State Community College, Hamilton Campus, Upward Bound Program
The Hamilton program serves nine high schools in Lamar, Marion, and Winston County.
The chief goal of the Bevill State Community College Upward Bound Programs is providing services to its participants that will assist them in preparing for and achieving success in an institution of higher learning. Selection criteria for Upward Bound participants include: low-income, potential first-generation college student, and academic need. Two-thirds of the selected participants must be both low-income and potential first- generation college student with academic need.
- Instruction in math, foreign language, laboratory sciences, literature, and composition
- Tutorials for academic subjects
- Mentoring for careers and college life
- College entrance exam preparation
- Counseling for academic, personal, and career goals
- Financial aid assistance
- Exposure to academic and cultural events
- Seminars to enhance awareness in the areas of academics, social skills, health and physical maintenance, lifestyles, and values clarification
- Monthly stipends for attendance
- Summer college credit classes at Bevill State with tuition and fees paid by the project for graduating seniors
- Work-study positions to expose participants to careers requiring a postsecondary degree