Click here for more information on Upward Bound, Math and Science.
Bevill State Community College, Fayette Campus, Upward Bound Math and Science
The Fayette program serves nine schools located within the nine counties of the Bevill State Community College Service Area: Brilliant, Hamilton, and Marion County High Schools in Marion County; Lamar County and Sulligent High Schools in Lamar County; Berry, Fayette County, and Hubbertville High Schools in Fayette County; Pickens County High School in Pickens County.
The chief goal of the Bevill State Community College Upward Bound Math and Science Program is to provide services to its participants that will assist them in preparing for and achieving success in an institution of higher learning. Selection criteria for Upward Bound Math and Science participants include: low-income, potential first-generation college student, and academic need.
- Instruction in math, laboratory sciences, foreign language, literature, and composition.
- Tutorials for academic subjects
- Mentoring for careers and college life
- College entrance exam preparation
- Counseling for academic, personal, and career goals
- Financial aid assistance
- Exposure to academic and cultural events
- Seminars to enhance awareness in the areas of academics, social skills, health and physical maintenance, lifestyles, and values clarification
- Monthly stipends
- Summer college credit classes for graduating seniors at Bevill State with tuition and fees paid by the project
- Summer component for the UBMS participants on the Bevill State - Fayette campus
- mentor the UBMS participants to enter and complete a program of postsecondary education and embark upon careers in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics fields